Sight words are out, and heart words are in! Heart words is a research-based way to teach high frequency words!
If you’re looking for a way to teach and practice Heart Words in a meaningful way, and a way to save big on a bundle, this is it!
These two resources go hand in hand for a bundle that includes 300+ heart words worksheets and 250+ heart word passages all aligned to The Science of Reading.
It requires and is perfect for introducing/teaching heart words and having students practice the heart words in context.
On each Heart Words Worksheet, students will:
- Read/say the word
- Tap the number of sounds
- Count and write the number of sounds
- Map the word (identifying “heart parts”)
- Trace the word (and heart it/underline it if applicable)
- Write the word in letter boxes (and heart it/underline it if applicable)
- Cut, build, and paste the letters that make the word.
- Write the word (and heart it/underline it if applicable) and read it back - there is enough space to write the word in a sentence.
About Temporary Heart Words
- Many high frequency words are phonetic, while some are truly irregular.
- Phonetic high frequency words can be known as a temporary heart word if students have not learned the skill. (For example, he and me are phonetic, but would be temporary heart words if students have not learned long vowel sounds/open syllables.)
- These words will not have hearts/underlines on them - however, you can edit them (in the included PowerPoint file) OR you can have your students add them with pencil/crayon/marker.
There are 3 files included in this part of the download:
- Heart Words Worksheets - printable PDF for 304 high frequency words
- Editable Heart Words Worksheets - PowerPoint file - for all 304 high frequency words (directions included)
- Editable Heart Words Worksheet Template (Blank) - PowerPoint file - create pages for any words
- Words are arranged by phonics skill, followed by permanent heart words/irregular sight words in alphabetical order.
There is a clickable table of contents included in the PDF for easy word access.
Every page (304 pages/words included) utilizes the same consistent, research-based practice so that your students can focus on the word at hand, and not new directions/activities.
What do students do on each page?
- Say the target high frequency word/heart word
- Tap the number of sounds in the word
- Write the number of sounds in the word
- Map the number of sounds in the word and add a heart where necessary
- please note that hearts are not added for you - they're meant to be added by students during instruction.
- Find the targeted high frequency word/heart word in the story and circle it. Heart it if desired.
- Read the short story three times - coloring a numbered heart each time they read.
How short are the short stories?
- The stories range from 2-5 sentences in length. They are short and decodable to provide a quick - yet meaningful - win for your students.
How decodable are the short stories?
- These short stories include only
- 1 - the targeted word;
- 2 - VC and CVC words, and
- 3 - pre-reading high frequency words as necessary
- The 10 pre-reading high frequency words are as follows: a, and, for, I, is, of, the, to, was, you
What grade is it for?
- While these are ideal for Kindergarten and first grade, they can be used with any student(s) who can decode VC and CVC words and need(s) to learn high frequency words.
The files in this part of the bundle are organized as follows:
I know this resource includes A LOT of high frequency words. For your convenience, you'll find the download organized the following 3 ways. Click on the file that is most convenient for you.
- Old & New PDF
- Did you own this before the huge update and you only want to download your print the new additions? You'll be looking for the PDF's that start with 1A and 1B. 1B - 175 New Heart Words Short Stories.pdf is the one you'll want to download and print!
- Organized by Phonics Skill & Irregularity
- You'll want this PDF: 2 Heart Words Short Stories By Skill.pdf. This includes a clickable table of contents.
- Organized Alphabetically
- You'll want this PDF: 3 Heart Words Short Stories Alphabetical.pdf This includes a clickable table of contents
This is a compilation of many of the common high frequency word lists.
Remember, these pages are all editable. A blank template for the heart word worksheets is also included to make your own word pages if a word from your list is missing. (A blank template is NOT included for the heart words decodable short stories).
(aligned to the Science of Reading)
Included in this Instant Download:
- PDF with 608 pages (304 heart words worksheets and 304 heart words short stories)
Get all of the resources below at a discount by purchasing this bundle!