FREE UPDATE on 2-23-23
170+ more words/short stories have been added to this resource! Please download the file again to access the free update
Heart words is a strategy for teaching high frequency words (sight words) that aligns with the Science of Reading. These decodable short stories each focus on one heart word so your students can practice reading high frequency words in context.
Finally, a resource that allows your students to practice one targeted high frequency word (heart word) in the context of reading!
Every page (273 pages/words included) utilizes the same consistent, research-based practice so that your students can focus on the word at hand, and not new directions/activities.
- Say the target high frequency word/heart word
- Tap the number of sounds in the word
- Write the number of sounds in the word
- Map the number of sounds in the word and add a heart where necessary
- please note that hearts are not added for you - they're meant to be added by students during instruction.
- Find the targeted high frequency word/heart word in the story and circle it. Heart it if desired.
- Read the short story three times - coloring a numbered heart each time they read.
- The stories range from 2-5 sentences in length. They are short and decodable to provide a quick - yet meaningful - win for your students.
- These short stories include only
- 1 - the targeted word;
- 2 - VC and CVC words, and
- 3 - pre-reading high frequency words as necessary
The 10 pre-reading high frequency words are as follows: a, and, for, I, is, of, the, to, was, you
- While these are ideal for Kindergarten and first grade, they can be used with any student(s) who can decode VC and CVC words and need(s) to learn high frequency words.
- I’ve combined multiple lists of high frequency words and found 273 of most common irregular/temporary heart words. The words are as follows:
- Many high frequency words are phonetic, while some are truly irregular.
- Phonetic high frequency words can be known as a temporary heart word if students have not learned the skill. (For example, he and me are phonetic, but would be temporary heart words if students have not learned long vowel sounds/open syllables.)
- This resource does include temporary heart words/flash words.
I know this resource includes A LOT of high frequency words. For your convenience, you'll find the download organized the following 3 ways. Click on the file that is most convenient for you.
1. Old & New PDF
- Did you own this before the huge update and you only want to download your print the new additions? You'll be looking for the PDF's that start with 1A and 1B. 1B - 175 New Heart Words Short Stories.pdf is the one you'll want to download and print!
2. Organized by Phonics Skill & Irregularity
- You'll want this PDF: 2 Heart Words Short Stories By Skill.pdf. This includes a clickable table of contents.
3. Organized Alphabetically
- You'll want this PDF: 3 Heart Words Short Stories Alphabetical.pdf This includes a clickable table of contents
Included in this Instant Download:
- PDF with 273 heart words short stories
Buy the bundle and get this resource at a discount!