Phonemic awareness is the foundation of learning to read through phonics. If you're conducting reading intervention, knowing your students have solid phonemic awareness is key to progress.
Maybe you already know phonemic awareness is so important, and you do it in small groups...but sometimes it's hard to remember ALL the skills in the spectrum.
Sometimes it's hard to think of one more pair of rhyming words.
Sometimes it's hard to generate those silly sentences...Not anymore!
With these Phonemic Awareness Teacher Task Card activities, you have over 100 systematic and explicit phonemic awareness building activities at your fingertips (literally)!
What are these?
- Phonemic Awareness Teacher Task Cards are task cards that teachers can use to help their students build phonemic awareness. There are over 100 task cards that include skill building activities for the entire spectrum of phonemic awareness. All the activities are done orally, so there is no need for student copies or projector displays. The activities are scripted for a systematic and explicit approach, so simply read aloud and start building those skills with your students!
Why should I use these?
- Time and time again, scientific research shows that phonemic awareness has a significant impact on learning to read. However, phonemic awareness is not just for children who will learn to read, it is also an effective intervention for students struggling with phonics. Research shows that instruction in phonemic awareness produces positive effects on decoding and word reading. Learning to listen to sounds in words can also foster improved spelling and writing.
When can I use these?
- You can use these anytime during the day. Use them at your guided reading table, whole group on the carpet, while standing in line before leaving the classroom, one-on-one as an intervention, or as a classroom transition. Conveniently keep these task cards on a ring and be ready to use them anytime, anywhere!
The following skills/task cards are included with a clickable table of contents for your convenience!
- Beginning sounds discrimination
- Ending sounds discrimination
- Generating like phonemes
- Medial sound discrimination
- Identifying rhymes
- Generating rhymes
- Counting words in a sentence
- Segmenting compound words
- Segmenting syllables
- Onset and rime
- Blending 2 phonemes
- Blending 3 phonemes
- Blending 4 phonemes
- Segmenting 2 phonemes
- Segmenting 3 phonemes
- Segmenting 4 phonemes
- Deleting compound words
- Deleting syllables
- Deleting phonemes
- Identifying phoneme position
- Switching syllables
- Beginning phoneme substitution/manipulation
- Medial phoneme substitution/manipulation
- Ending phoneme substitution/manipulation
- Each task/skill is CLEARLY defined, with scripted teacher directions. Every task card is clearly labeled by skill and additional words/lists are provided for each skill to ensure your students get PLENTY of practice.
Each task/skill is CLEARLY defined, with scripted teacher directions. Every task card is clearly labeled by skill and additional words/lists are provided for each skill to ensure your students get PLENTY of practice.
You only need ONE set of task cards, and they print four to a page to save ink and paper!
Pictures and directions included in both the preview and the file. Please see the preview for more details!
Included in this Instant Download: