Do you teach phonemic awareness and phonics? Do you follow the science of reading? These R-Controlled Vowels word ladders (or word chains) are critical for your teaching reading toolbox!
Phonemic and phonics are vital to teaching reading to the science of reading. These word ladder worksheets will help your students connect phonemic awareness TO phonics through word ladders (also knows as word chains).
In these 11 R-Controlled Vowels Word Ladder Worksheets, students:
- Look and identify the picture. (answer key/clip art key provided)
- Use the cut out letter cards (provided on the bottom of the worksheet) to build the word.
- Write the word. Then go down the "ladder" to the next picture.
- Repeat the process until students get to the "bottom of the ladder". One sound (phoneme) will change in each picture. Students slide down the letters that stay the same, and change the sound/letter that does not.
- The sound placement (beginning, middle, end) changes throughout each page, so students practice manipulating sounds in ALL parts of the word.
Note: The letter cards are not meant to be glued down onto the page. Letters are meant to be "slid down" the ladder as sounds remain the same (and switched out where the sounds change)!
- There are 11 pages of mixed R-Controlled Vowels practice.
- No, all R-Controlled Vowels sounds are mixed throughout the packet.
Note: The pages with an asterisk (*) contain beginning blends AND digraphs.
- Yes, there is an answer key for every page.
Included in this Instant Download:
- PDF with 11 pages and answer keys
Buy the bundle and get this resource at a discount!